postpass2
My husband and I planned a six-week trip to Italy a few years ago. I’m trying to remember why we ended up not going. I think that’s when we got pregnant, so we took a shorter trip instead.
We found that housing rentals have reduced rates for longer terms. Transportation is less if you settle in somewhere. The tricky part was paying for extra expenses at the same time as not having income, so it definitely requires strong savings ahead of time.
We still plan to go live for a couple of months, but it will be in a few years, and we’ll be taking our kids.
Rachel’s last blog post..How to Move in 6 Weeks or 6 Days, and Keep Your Sanity
]]>What do you plan to do with your own job during that time? I guess you’d be quitting since Tony is probably going to try to find a job elsewhere.
I like the idea of finding a volunteer program to do for part of your stay. They’d probably help with your living expenses.
I really doubt you’d regret taking an extended trip abroad. Aim high! And good luck!
Kacie’s last blog post..Should we rent this apartment? Or stay put?
]]>Sharon’s last blog post..A lake trip after all?
]]>@Shelly Thanks for the tip! We were really only looking to travel to London and maybe Amsterdam, so I looked into train tickets for those locations and estimated based on that. We may end up changing it up if we decide we can do more traveling while we’re over there.
@Liz Great suggestions! We’ll look into teaching English as a second language, and I’m currently doing research on small towns outside of the big cities where we might stay.
@Clare Great questions to consider! We weren’t planning on working during our time there. Realistically, we’d be looking at probably about 2 months, which in my opinion isn’t enough time put down roots. So we’d have to save enough to live on without bringing in additional income. Part of the appeal is that it would be extended time off before we start working again. I would also be open to looking for freelance writing jobs for both of us so we could bring in a little extra money that way.
As far as regretting it, that’s a big part of the reason we’re putting so much thought into it. If there’s any chance that we’ll view it as a mistake later, we’ll probably decide not to do it. As of right now, the only scenario I can see us regretting would be if we blew ALL of our savings or put ourselves into debt. Those are two scenarios that we have already agreed will not happen due to this trip.
You’re right that knowing Tony won’t have a job lined up when we return may be a concern. One of the biggest reasons we’re considering this is that Tony will be looking for full-time high school teaching jobs, which means he’ll have a number of months before he can start his job search. We don’t know where we want to live, but we know we want to be close to family, so part of our plan is to stay with family when we return while we look for jobs anywhere and everywhere. We want to send resumes to multiple places and move where ever we find the best offer, but we don’t want to burden family by staying with them for an extended period of time. This trip would give us a place to go in the interim.
@EastTXMom Since we’ll be moving from our current town, Howie would be staying with family while we were away. My parents have agreed to take him if we decide to go through with this, so he’d be in good hands. :)
]]>